[lit-ideas] Re: Donnellaniana

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:40:41 -0800

JL writes of various people and various things, among them, 'Sage,
Cornell.' Cornell's philosophy department is named, the 'Susan Linn Sage
School of Philosophy.' The Cornell philosophy department is
identical with the Susan Linn Sage School of Philosophy. I have no idea
what JL means by 'Sage, Cornel.'

These three passages from Wikipedia, explain how the Cornell philosophy
department became the Susan Linn Sage School of Philosophy.

'Henry Williams Sag*e* (January 31, 1814 – September 18, 1897) was a
wealthy New York State <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State>
businessman,
philanthropist, and early benefactor and trustee of Cornell University
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_University>.
------
'In 1870 Sage was elected to the Board of Trustees
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees> of Cornell University, and
elected president of the Board
in 1875.
-------
'He endowed the Susan Linn Sage School of Philosophy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Susan_Linn_Sage_School_of_Philosophy&action=edit&redlink=1>
in
the College of Arts and Sciences
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_University_College_of_Arts_and_Sciences>,
named after his wife.'

Keith Donnellan was a graduate student at Cornell, and later taught there;
there's no reason to believe that he pronounced his name 'D'*nell*-n,
because it (somehow) pleased Max Black. (Black: 'Now, repeat after me...')
Black was born in Baku, in what became Azerbaijan
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerbaijan>; he grew up in London. Surely, a
man with such a linguistic inheritance should not be an arbiter of the
pronunciation of Irish surnames.

—Robert Paul