[lit-ideas] Re: Donnellaniana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:36:42 -0500

It was Malcolm who invited Grice to Cornell. But Grice knew Black well, too
 -- and Black will dedicate a brilliant essay to Grice in an attempt to
refute  him ("The best homage to a philosopher is trying to refute him" -- he
was being  Popperian. Black failed.

Malcolm being on a sabbatical leave, the Sage (School) provided that
semester Grice's seminar on implicature (mainly concentrating on Malcolm, who
was absent), and a course on logic (notably Strawson, Introduction to logical
theory, that he'll go on to try and refute) given by Donnellan.

Grice's interest in Malcolm's philosophy is an early one. After all, Grice
spent most of the early post-war years hearing Austin say, "Some like
Witters,  but Moore's MY man", and Malcolm was more or less Wittgensteinian,
and
more to  the point, anti-Moorean. Grice quotes from Malcolm's early essay on
"Moore and  ordinary language".

Grice is concerned with what Malcolm and Grice list as "Philosopher's
Paradoxes" (using "Philosopher" as a proper name, almost).

1. There are no material things.
2. Time is unreal.
3. Space is unreal.
4. No-one ever perceives a material thing.
5. No material thing exists unperceived.
6. All that one ever sees when he looks at a thing is part of his own
brain.
7. There are no other minds – my sensations are the only sensations that
exist.
8. We do not know for certain that there are any other minds.
9. We do not know for certain that the world was not created five minutes
ago.
10. We do not know for certain the truth of any statement about material
things.
11. All empirical statements are hypotheses.
12. A priori statements are rules of grammar.

Grice refutes Malcolm, and provides ingenious variants of the alleged
paradoxes.

When in Cornell, Grice quoted from a later essay by Malcolm (he was on
sabbatical leave when Grice gave this Cornell seminar on conversational
implicature.

Grice notes that Malcolm injustly accused Moore of having misused the word
“know” when he said that he knew that this was one human hand and that
this was  another human hand.

Malcolm claims that an essential part of the concept “know” is the
implication that an inquiry is under way.

But surely that's merely a conversational implicature!

For the record, self-contradictions are ‘incorrect’ uses of language, but
not all so-called ‘incorrect’ uses of language, on this view, are
necessarily  meaningless.

For example, the ‘sceptical’ use of the term ‘know’ is classified, on
Malcolm’s view, as a ‘misuse’ of the term, but only because it is not the
ordinary use.

Such a use is, of course, allowed, and obviously it is not meaningless. But
 using the term this way requires some further explanation, or indication
to the  effect that it is not being used in its ordinary sense.

So, contrary to some detractors, on the Ordinary Language view, not all  ‘
incorrect’ uses, or even ‘misuses’ of expressions are thereby false – nor
are  they prohibited. So, it is not prohibited to use expressions in ‘
philosophical’  or other novel ways – but one must make reference back to the
ordinary use in  order to make the new use clear.

When Malcolm was back in Cornell ("the Witters man"), Grice was,
paradoxically, gone [+> back in Oxford].

Unlike Black, Malcolm had perhaps a better ear for 'ordinary language' --
but neither Black nor Malcolm had the solid philosophical intuitions and eye
for  examples that both Grice and Donnellan did.

Cheers,

Speranza