[lit-ideas] Parochial Morality (Was: Justifying Moral Principles?)

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 15:26:06 -0500

In a message dated 2/23/2015 1:59:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx quotes from Stanley Fish: "Politics, interest,
partisan conviction, and belief are the locations of morality" and  comments:

>"morality" seems a bit too parochial a term to me,
>but what the hell, it's the melody, not the lyrics, that make the song.

And then there's the keyword: parochial morality.

Below the Google first page of hits!

The philosopher J. Hornsby thinks that 'parochial' is parochial, and
prefers 'vicarious' (ps. 2).

Cheers,

Speranza

----

"parochial morality"
Circa 707 risultati

Risultati di ricerca
[PDF]The Correlated History of Social Organization, Morality, and ...
qcpages.qc.edu/Biology/.../LahtiEvolRelig09.pdf
Traduci questa pagina
di DC Lahti - ‎Citato da 13 - ‎Articoli  correlati
Both prereligious animism and parochial morality are likely to have  ...
parochial morality, these standards are perceived as arising within a social
group.

The Biological Evolution of Religious Mind and Behavior
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=3642001289  - Traduci questa pagina
Eckart Voland, ‎Wulf Schiefenhövel -  - ‎Science
Both prereligious  animism and parochial morality are likely to have arisen
with the evolution of  language; parochial religion likely arose later as
indicated by ...

Eating Spring Rice: The Cultural Politics of AIDS in ...
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0520939484  - Traduci questa pagina
Sandra Teresa Hyde -  - ‎Social Science
Second, a parochial  morality controls high- risk sexual behavior,
especially among commercial sex  workers and intravenous drug users. Third, a
Han
nationalist ...

Value and Justification: The Foundations of Liberal Theory
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0521397332  - Traduci questa pagina
Gerald F. Gaus -  - ‎Philosophy
So, in relations with outsiders,  the parochial morality is rationally
superseded by that which can claim to be  rational to the wider group. We might
say, then, that ...

To Relieve the Human Condition: Bioethics, Technology, and ...
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0791434737  - Traduci questa pagina
Gerald P. McKenny -  - ‎Medical
... morality allegedly shared by  everyone against a parochial morality
accessible only to a priveleged few. Of  course, "common morality" is an
ambiguous term.

Japanese and Western Bioethics: Studies in Moral Diversity
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0792341120  - Traduci questa pagina
K. Hoshino - - ‎Medical
... morality allegedly shared by everyone  against a parochial morality
accessible only to a privileged few. Of course,  "common morality" is an
ambiguous term.

Truth, Politics, Morality: Pragmatism and Deliberation
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1134826176  - Traduci questa pagina
Cheryl Misak -  - ‎Philosophy
If wewant to keepat baythe  likes of themoral majority, we must prohibit
appeals to any particular parochial  morality (inthis case, the fundamentalist

Handbook of Moral Behavior and Development: Volume 1: Theory
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1317783115  - Traduci questa pagina
William M. Kurtines, ‎Jacob Gewirtz, ‎Jacob L. Lamb -- ‎Philosophy
Being  forewarned by philosophers' difficulties, psychologists should take
care not to  impose inadvertently a personally favored, parochial morality
on reality; this  ...

Conservatives VS. Liberals | ethicsdefined.org | Ethics Defined
_www.ethicsdefined.org/.../conservatives-vs-liberals_
(http://www.ethicsdefined.org/.../conservatives-vs-liberals) ...
Traduci questa pagina
Since we cannot expect members not sharing in our  parochial morality to
necessarily treat us in a manner satisfying to our  particular moral concerns,

The Cambridge Review
https://books.google.com/books?id...  - Traduci questa pagina ... nor
conscience to torment him, with the mob  conquered, with the petty injunctions
of
parOchial morality forgotten, with the  miserable impotence of sympathy ...

ps. 2

Explaining the Mental: Naturalist and Non-Naturalist ...
_www.academia.edu/.../Explaining_the_Mental_Nat_
(http://www.academia.edu/.../Explaining_the_Mental_Nat) ...
Traduci questa pagina
- 72 Jennifer Hornsby, Knowledge, Belief and  Reasons for Acting . .... but
also vicariously, through the symbolic resources  that come to us ...