[lit-ideas] Re: C'mon people now - or almost rhyming

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 09:22:44 -0600

I understand why Eric is sticking to his guns on this issue. Chris Bruce's version is far and away more totalitarian. "Try to love one another right now" is a much more demanding command than "Kinda love one another" which seems to be more of a call to an Aristotelian middle ground (and thereby more virtuous?). "Love, yes, if you must, but don't go to excess." That's what Eric and Aristotle advise. Jesus told us to love one another as we love ourselves. I'm telling you, folks, that's not asking much. I've decided that not many people out there love themselves at all. There's a lot of love for self-images, but most of us know that we don't measure up and we hate ourselves for it. That's my pop psychology sermon for this Sunday and I'm sticking to it.

Mike Geary
Gyaku Maijin of Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>