[lit-ideas] C'mon people now - or almost rhyming

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:17:12 -0500

>> 'almost rhyming' but not quite

Soft rhyme, sometimes called oblique rhyme or slant rhyme. If you think they're annoying, there are also purely visual or lexical rhymes, e.g., tough and cough.

Speaking of bad lyrics, I've had this lyric bouncing around my empty brain:

C'mon people now, smile on your brothers
everybody get together
and kinda love one another right now.

Young Pioneers or some flapdoodle like that. But how fascist it is! How utterly totalitarian in its exhortation to "kinda love" right now! And not just kinda love, but everybody ... now ... the horror, the horror!

Imagining this old hippie ditty, I usually picture people goose stepping. How could a whole generation fall for the illusion ... oh yeah ... drugs ... never mind.