[lit-ideas] Re: Can, logically, there be any such thing as a "performative contradiction"?

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:59:28 -0400 (EDT)

G. E. Moore, famously claimed that it is contradictory to *state*

"it rains and I do not believe it*

or semi-formally "p & I do not believe [that] p"

L. Horn has  massive amount of work on the sybject.
what notion of contradiction is used? a performative one since it is
consistent (in any model0 to say  that "p & x does not believe [that] p"

best regards