[lit-ideas] Re: Can, logically, there be any such thing as a "performative contradiction"?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 14:03:50 -0230

I don't think that The Master ever himself identified the structure of
performative contradiction as being a feature of moral impermissibility or of
any other dimension of morality. He did, however, offer the practical
contradiction as such a feature of some maxims and he thought of the
contradiction in terms of illegitimate self-exemption and self-contradiction.
But neither illegitimate self-exemption nor self-contradiction count as
instances of performative contradiction as understood by Habermas or Apel. (I
would agree with Omar that the notion of a performative contradiction doesn't
sit well with Austin's account.) And this because these 2 features of wrongness
emerge not from the relation between the semantic content of a proposition and
its expression (i.e., use within a speech act) but rather from the relation
between a (subjective) maxim and its form (universalizability).

Lying-promises made out of self-interest commit a practical contradiction in
that 1) if everybody did it, nobody could do it and 2) the agent relies on
others not to act on his maxim, and act instead on a contrary maxim, in order
that her maxim can attain its own posited end (illegitimat self-exemption).
Free-rider: she succeeds, and is able to succeed only because others pay as
they go.

I give a reading of practical contradictions as performative contradictions in
my reply to Donal. Don't know how successful that was, but it looks good for
now from here.

Walter O
MUN

Quoting omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx: