[lit-ideas] Re: Can, logically, there be any such thing as a "performative contradiction"?

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 12:23:25 -0400 (EDT)

yes, the best cases are Moore-paradoxes

you may want to see the work by L. Horn on the matter

cheerio

On Sat, 30 May 2009, Donal McEvoy wrote:

Of course, it may depend how far or little we stretch the idea of a "performative" and a
"contradiction".

But taking as a central case of a performative utterance those statements that lawyers admit as 'original evidence' e.g. "I
do" in marriage, "I accept" in contract. Such out-of-court statements are not hearsay of accepting the marriage or
other contract but are constitutive of that acceptance - hence they are "performative" utterances. In this sense of
"performative", how could such an utterance ever be a "contradiction" (or at odds with itself), where this
would seem to imply that it at once constituted and did not constitute the relevant act of acceptance?

The utterance "I do because father-in-law-to-be has a shotgun at my back" , or "I
accept because otherwise Luca Brasi will ensure it is my brains on the contract", do not
constitute genuine acceptance and so do not, in any strict sense, amount to a performative
contradiction - rather they are imperfect or counterfeit or surrogate, or whatever, performatives.
They fall short of being genuine performatives and so cannot amount to a
"performative contradiction".

Donal
Too much time on my (F.A.Cup watching, if you must) hands
Aware W.O. was perhaps being humourously playful in his previous use of "performative
contradiction" and/or deploying a widened concept of "performative" and
"contradiction"; and hoping he took only an acceptable level of offence at my previous
animadversions
Final whistle - o, god..
Next on this weary day - Britain's Got Talent

?e ??, ?????e?? ?a?eda?µ?????? ? ? ? ?t? t?de
?e?µe?a, t??? ?e???? ??µas? pe???µe???.
/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
email me for details if needed at palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.