[lit-ideas] Re: Bush's domestic tsunami and a question

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:05:32 -0800

Eric,

This isn't the best climate to discuss your concerns.  Mike doesn't attack
Ahmadinejad, only Bush.  He doesn't attack what the Pasdaran are doing, only
our military, etc., etc.; which is to say that even though he makes a number
of Islamist arguments, he probably isn't one; which means he probably isn't
interested in a reasonable discussion or argument.

I suspect we agree that Bush's Foreign Policy has been a good one.  The more
I read, the more reasons I find for that view.  So in terms of Foreign
Policy Bush is the wise and courageous leader.  I realize some people will
prefer Ahmadinejad and Rafsanjani to Bush, but perhaps they won't read this.

I don't think we can utterly set Domestic Policy aside in viewing Bush's
Foreign Policy.  If the economy weren't kept strong, he would be hampered to
some extent in his Foreign Policy.  When you call him "high-spending," do
you remove the military portion to look at the other expenditures?  If we
weren't at war, would Bush still be a "high-spending Calvin Coolidge"?  I
haven't been following the domestic side of the Bush policy to any
significant extent, but that's not my impression.

As to the tax shelters that help the rich, as obnoxious as that seems, there
is truth to the trickle-down business.  We have seen lots of trickle-down in
the U.S., and lots of emphasis upon entitlements in such places as France,
and the trickle-down man in the street may be doing better than the
Frenchman with entitlements France doesn't seem able to afford.  Our economy
was in better shape than any other major economy the last time I checked.
Maybe he isn't doing much leading in the domestic realm, but if out economy
is better than any other, maybe he ought to leave it alone.

Lawrence