[lit-ideas] Bishop Berkeley -- and Popper

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:37:05 EST

In a message dated 11/6/2004 7:56:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
If a  tree falls
in the forest
when there's nobody
there to hear it
does it make
a sound?
Yes.
----

Geary rephrases:

>if a bush burns
>and there's, etc.

I believe R. Paul is echoing Bishop Berkeley? Berkeley thought, famously,
_esse est percipi_, and the 'tree falling' example is also mentioned by D.
Hume.
 I'm not sure it can be so easily solved.

In a way it compares to the chimera bombinating in the void.

I tend to believe that things like "it smells", "it hurts", "it sucks",  etc.
-- are also subject-relative percepta stratum language, as Fredriech
Waismann called it.

It does not really make sense that a rose, say, would _smell_ so sweet if
there' s no nose around. A bush burning may be different, because it's not
necessarily sound-producing, etc.

Locke distinguished between primary and secondary qualities. Things like
SIZE ('bulk' he called it) are _not_ subject-relative (he thought). But things
like "rotten" _are_.

Think of it: the whole world divides into the primary and the secondary
qualities, even if Locke was wrong about some of the examples.

Cheers,

JL

   -- I add "and Popper" since possibly Popper commented on this,  etc.