[lit-ideas] Re: Bishop Berkeley -- and Popper

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:32:38 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 11/7/2004 9:46:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I  haven't been able to find a passage in which Hume addresses this
> question,
>  but
> surely Berkeley would have stopped it in its tracks by pointing out  that
> if
> there were no one around there would be no tree (and maybe no  forest), so
> that a
> fortiori there would be no  sound.

Even if so, the issue of whether the tree falling produces 'sound' is
distinct from the issue of whether when we turn away from a falling tree (and
perhaps put on ear-muffs at the same time) the tree disappears.

From a metaphysical realist point of view we might point out:-

1. If we turn away from a falling tree without putting on earmuffs we can
hear its continued existence even though we cannot see it.

2. This does not _conclusively_ show either a. that the visible tree does not
disappear leaving only the audible tree when no one is watching only
listening or b. that the tree remains when there is no subject having any
perception of it. But it is nevertheless a strong argument against the view
that trees disappear in part or in entirety when perception of that part or
entirety is absent.

3. The disappearance of the standing inaudible tree, whenever no one is
watching it, would violate the known laws of physics.

4. Science [and knowledge] works by positing regularities - including
regularities of continued existence - and then testing them against the
evidence. In the case of trees I suggest by and large we must accept they
exist even when we are no longer perceiving them (after all, where is the
compelling refutation?) - but this case may be contrasted with that of the
teacher who believes the tongues of his pupils do exist, hanging out of their
mouths, when he is not looking - though whenever he turns round the tongues
are never there to be seen.

Popper would of course, as a Metap.-Realt, agree with Andy's dinosaur
argument, inconclusive as it is.

Donal
Old Albion

Messenger - all new features - even more fun! http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com