[lit-ideas] Re: Big Pharma's competition

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 08:37:51 -0400

Any specifics on this?  We need a  breakdown of numbers, as well as how
much he paid in taxes out of his multiple billions, and how much he's
investing in the U.S. as opposed to investing in China.   I like to think
that when someone has that kind of money, it would be impossible to spend
it, and the only thing to do with it is give it away.  But it doesn't
always work that way.  Warren Buffet is notorious for not giving a nickel,
literally, to his family members.  I do remember the news story where Gates
went to a 7-11 with a coupon for 50 cents.  I've also heard excerpts of one
speech he made.  It was not the speech of a happy man.  People in the
multiple million category, like pharma execs, seem never to have enough,
otherwise why the need to price gouge?  I've heard George Soros
interviewed, and he also is not a happy man.  He deals with his unhappiness
by giving money to the Soros Foundation, literally giving it away.  Getting
back to Gates, any specifics you can supply about his largesse would be
appreciated.

Andy