[lit-ideas] Re: Aristotle beats Anscombe, Kripke wallops Nussbaum

  • From: adriano paolo shaul gershom palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 18:13:45 +0200

the idiocy of your remarks on homosexuals is enough to lay bare you need
for the big e

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> "Kripke also makes the point that different names for the same thing can
> highlight how the way we refer to something can affect the truth of
> propositions about that thing, e.g. it’s true that Mary Jane knows that
> Peter Parker is Peter Parker, and that Spiderman is Spiderman, but it’s not
> true that she knows that Peter Parker is Spiderman."
>
>  No disrespect to Kripke [though his 'Kripkenstein' is a misreading of
> Wittgenstein, nor does it offer a correct 'solution' to the problems of
> induction which lie at the back of Kripke's take on "rules", which he
> treats as though they create a sort of inductive paradox - whereas
> Wittgenstein's concern is with issues like how "rules" are shown given that
> their sense cannot be said], but who denied this point? And how important
> is it? Where do we go with it? I mean, which is here better: "Kripke also
> makes the frequently overlooked and important point that..." or "Kripke
> makes the bloody obvious point, admitted even by most school-children who
> know something about Spiderman, that..."
>
>  That people can present this Kripke point without acute intellectual
> embarrassment explains why they are also the kind of people unembarrassed
> that Popper is nowhere on their list [which makes room for Foucault, that
> hardboiled egghead of gay liberation, and bothers to give an honourable
> mention to "post-Lacanian readings of contingency and fate"].
>
>  Shame on you all.

palma, KZN

*יד*  וַיַּעַן עָמוֹס, וַיֹּאמֶר אֶל-אֲמַצְיָה, לֹא-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי, וְלֹא
בֶן-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי:  כִּי-בוֹקֵר אָנֹכִי, וּבוֹלֵס שִׁקְמִים.

 palma

University of KwaZulu-Natal

Howard College Campus, philosophy department

Durban 4041 South Africa

Tel off: [+27] 03 12 60 15 91 Fax [+27] 03 12 60 30 31

admn Y. Hordyk : [+27] 03 12 60 22 92

mobile 07 62 36 23 91 from abroad +[27] 76 23 62 391

EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

palma's office 280 (3rd flr of Mtb)

from 2o13\o1  p212 on cognition p308 on rigidity p102 intrPHIL

 - check venues&schedule at administrator office  TBA

 *only when in Europe*:

inst. J. Nicod

29 rue d'Ulm

f-75005 paris france