[lit-ideas] Re: Aristotle beats Anscombe, Kripke wallops Nussbaum

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:30:03 +0000 (GMT)

"Kripke also makes the point that different names for the same thing can
highlight how the way we refer to something can affect the truth of
propositions about that thing, e.g. it’s true that Mary Jane knows that
Peter Parker is Peter Parker, and that Spiderman is Spiderman, but it’s
not true that she knows that Peter Parker is Spiderman."

No disrespect to Kripke [though his 'Kripkenstein' is a misreading of
Wittgenstein, nor does it offer a correct 'solution' to the problems of
induction which lie at the back of Kripke's take on "rules", which he treats as
though they create a sort of inductive paradox - whereas Wittgenstein's concern
is with issues like how "rules" are shown given that their sense cannot be
said], but who denied this point? And how important is it? Where do we go with
it? I mean, which is here better: "Kripke also makes the frequently overlooked
and important point that..." or "Kripke makes the bloody obvious point,
admitted even by most school-children who know something about Spiderman,
that..."

That people can present this Kripke point without acute intellectual
embarrassment explains why they are also the kind of people unembarrassed that
Popper is nowhere on their list [which makes room for Foucault, that hardboiled
egghead of gay liberation, and bothers to give an honourable mention to
"post-Lacanian readings of contingency and fate"].

Shame on you all.