[lit-ideas] Re: Anti-Humanism & Its Enemies

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:12:31 -0600

Mike Geary wrote:

No, I'm not talking about fads. I'm talking about beliefs. Beliefs are all we have. We acquire our beliefs through our culture. On a universal scale, no one belief has a more morally privileged standing than any other, just as no culture has a more morally privileged standing.

I doubt that any culture anywhere has actually believed this. That makes you a unique thing, the ONLY human for whom your truth is not true.

The one thing that all cultures have in common is their interest in comparing themselves with other cultures. Sometimes it's to gloat, sometimes it's to improve. But both gloating and improving imply that every culture sees some things about itself as better or worse than another culture, and believes that there is some standard outside the culture's current beliefs that can be used to judge that gloating or improving.

What I have just written is not the Truth, it is a belief that there is no such thing as Truth. That is not to say that there is no such thing as truth. We hold to certain beliefs because we believe them to be true. You may believe there is Truth out there, but until you can prove it incontrovertibly, it's just another belief.

On this, I think we agree. Truth is the "end" of knowledge claims (or beliefs, if you prefer), just as death is the "end" of life. We would not be human if we actually possessed either one; it's the "on the way" part that makes us human. But without either "Truth" or "death" we wouldn't be making any kind of journey at all.

Those who believe that there is no Truth believe that as a truth, but at the same time believe that it could possibly be erroneous and would amend the belief, given incontrovertible evidence to the contrary. But I can't imagine what kind of evidence could ever be brought forth to prove some belief a Truth.

And I can't really believe a person could live without questioning at least a few of their current beliefs, or the current beliefs of their society. As soon as someone says "I don't think that the way us Republicans, or us Democrats, or us Americans do things is necessarily the best way," they are on a search for a better way. Societies change because of this. That's the evidence you seek; we DO make changes in our societies because of our search for "Truth."

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA