[lit-ideas] Re: Anti-Humanism & Its Enemies

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:47:10 -0600

I truly wish you would.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2007 1:40 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Anti-Humanism & Its Enemies

Shall we count the fallacies, contradictions and self-contradictions populating
MG's post below? Anything over 6 wins a 750ml. bottle of Oban.

Walter O.
MUN

Quoting Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

No, I'm not talking about fads. I'm talking about beliefs. Beliefs are all

we have. We acquire our beliefs through our culture. On a universal scale,

no one belief has a more morally privileged standing than any other, just as

no culture has a more morally privileged standing. What I have just written

is not the Truth, it is a belief that there is no such thing as Truth. That

is not to say that there is no such thing as truth.  We hold to certain
beliefs because we believe them to be true. You may believe there is Truth
out there, but until you can prove it incontrovertibly, it's just another
belief. Those who believe that there is no Truth believe that as a truth, but at the same time believe that it could possibly be erroneous and would
amend the belief, given incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.  But I
can't imagine what kind of evidence could ever be brought forth to prove
some belief a Truth.

Mike Geary
speaking the truth
in Memphis