[lit-ideas] Re: Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 19:04:21 +0100 (BST)

________________________________
 From: "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>

>Replacing the anthropocentric 'we' by "penguin" we get:>

Is not the problem JLS wishes to identify better compared to Russell's paradox
re classes:  Is the class whose members are all those members that are 'not
members of that class' a member of that class (or not)? If it isn't a member of
that class, then it is; and if it is, it isn't.

Now: Is the class whose members are 'not members of any other class' a member
of the class whose members are 'not members of any other class'? For if it is
not a member of that class, then it is; and if it is, it isn't.*

As the class whose members 'are not members of any other class' is a class of
members unique to that class, here we have a paradox of uniqueness.

Donal
Confusing the issue*
See subsequent post