[lit-ideas] Re: Dinting

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:58:03 -0700

It occurred to me that there really ought to be a place in England called
Dinting.  Every time I hear, "by dint of the powers vested in me," I think,
"there's really quite a lot of dinting about."  Sure enough Dinting is a
district in Glossop.  It had a railway museum, run by the Bahamas Locomotive
Society.  Due to leasing difficulties, the museum has moved to Ingrow station.
Look it up, if you must.

If not betimes, I woke at a normal hour this morn and felt...almost normal.
Once again, for me the third day of jet lag was the worst.  Odd, that.  I
stormed through the first two, suppressing with the best; yesterday I was
decidedly dopey, particularly on the tennis court.  Ball wouldn't arrive where
I thought it should.

So, feeling normal-ish, I wandered into the garden in my first class
pajamas--yes, they give you pajamas in First Class, even when you're traveling
on points.  These say "First" on the chest.  Not one solitary neighbor was
around to say, "Goodness, you're back.  And look at those pajamas!"  They
wouldn't anyway, it's not that kind of neighborhood, or that kind of normal.  I
harvested rasps.

What kind of day could be bad if it started with cereal and fresh raspberries?

Well one that also started with a stiff back.  Bending to reach berries was a
bit of a feat.  It's possible that pushing a one hundred ton SAAB--a long-ish
tale-- and then playing tennis may not be the best combination for a dodgy
spine.

Thinking of graduation language...my colleague promised me at graduation that
he'd give me a Ph.D. robe he found in a thrift store.  (I've never owned a
robe).  Knowing this, I bought in England some bright red sheepskin with which
to decorate the hood, UCSD's hood being dull and this being an art college.  I
e mailed him yesterday.  He's decided to keep the robe, even though he hasn't a
Ph.D.  Weird.  So if you run across someone who is retiring or is otherwise
finished with a standard Ph.D. hood and robe, keep me in mind.  When I say
"bright red" I mean that he dyed the sheepskin to make Olympic sheepskins in
the form of English flags.  Very red.  Red enough to dint eyeballs.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
Bunting by Dinting,