[lit-ideas] Re: Alice on Universalizability

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 21:30:35 -0500 (EST)

We are considering the Queen's  maxim:

"Speak when you're spoken  to."

Alice famously  objected:

"But if everybody obeyed that rule,  and if you only  spoke when you were
spoken to, and the other person always  waited for  you to begin, you see
nobody would ever say anything, so that   --"

"Ridiculous!' cried the Queen.

Walter O  objects:

"Nothing ridculous here at all."

Well, let us be reminded  that 'ridiculous', etymologically, means
'amusing'
(Latin, ridere, as in  "Ridi, pagliaccio", the opera).

"Alice is saying that the Queen's maxim  is
self-contradictory when  universalized. (In a world in which  everybody did
it,
nobody could do it, if  you follow my Kantian  drift. No rational being
could
will such a maxim to  hold as a universal  law, applicable to all.) Thus,
the
maxim is morally   impermissible."

But I would think MORALITY deals with SERIOUS stuff. But  a world, to
follow
Alice, where "nobody would ever say anything" does not  strike me as
IMMORAL.

Q. E. D.,  ridiculous.

Cheers,

Speranza