[lit-ideas] Alice on Universalizability

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 23:35:02 -0500 (EST)

Interesting that McEvoy should mention  universalizability:

"Being human, sooner or later Walter was going to say  something that sits
ill
with a Kantian universalizability of maxims. But,  hey, it's New Year."

Indeed. Hey.

This reminds me of "Alice in  Wonderland:

-----

`Please, would you tell me -- ' Alice began,  looking timidly at the Red
Queen.

`Speak when you're spoken to!' The  Queen sharply interrupted her.

`But if everybody obeyed that rule,' said  Alice, who was always ready for
a little argument, `and if you only spoke when  you were spoken to, and the
other person always waited for you to begin, you see  nobody would ever say
anything, so that -- '

`Ridiculous!' cried the  Queen.

----- I wonder if it is all as ridiculous as the Red Queen thought  it was.

Cheers,