[lit-ideas] Re: The Immortality of Popper

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 21:30:17 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to D. McEvoy for the clarification   between valid deductions and
invalid inductions.

McEvoy had written,  in  Lit-Ideas, some time ago (rather than some time in
the  future):

"'All men  are immortal' is scientific because testable;  whereas 'All men
are mortal' is  not per se testable or scientific, for  its potential
falsifier - an immortal  person - is not  observable."

I provided the alleged  counterexample:

I wrote,  basing myself on the above observations by  McEvoy:

"Popper proves  that it is testable that "Popper is mortal" is  observable."

--- by  contra-position to Popper's claim that, "Popper is  immortal" is
not
observable.

McEvoy comments:

"Hmm."

-----  vide  Grice, "The implicature of "hmm"".

And goes on:

"This [i.e.   the claim that "Popper is mortal is observable"] ... seems to
[be or become  or  subsist, or supervene on] the product of some confusion
of
thought."

Why?

Well, because, as McEvoy goes  on:

"[D]espite  the fact that it is true that the state of being  dead may be
"observable" or  testable by observation, ..."

---  although most likely not by Popper  hisself, as my argument would
require.

"in contrast to the state of being  "immortal" which is  not "observable",
and so "Popper is mortal" is   observable".

Yet, McEvoy objects:

"[T]his fact [i.e. that  someone  can prove that Popper died] would NOT
[seem to -- guarded  phrase mine --  Speranza] mean this fact may itself be
"proved" in a  testable way."

And  why?

Well, as McEvoy goes  on:

"[J]ust because we may observe  Popper 'in a state of being  dead' would
not
mean that the claim "Popper 'being  dead' is  observable" is itself
observably true or testable _in that same   sense_]. But [I] am tiring
[myself] now."

I don't think  so.

We  have different scenarios, as it were.

Popper  died.
This seems to have  proved that Popper was, after all, mortal  (_contra_
the
subject-line of this  thread).

McEvoy seems to  suggest that Popper's "Cartesian" soul (if he  had one)
belongs to  another thread. But I don't think so.

"Popper in a  state of being  dead" is an anti-Wittgensteinian phrase.

As Wittgenstein  more than  once expressed, "Death is not part of life".
(He
thought that to have   a book, "The Life of Wittgenstein" would be
tantamount to having a book  simply  entitled "Wittgenstein" -- It's
different with
"The Life and  Opinions of  Wittgenstein" -- which is NOT equivalent,
truth-conditionally, if  implicaturally, to "Wittgenstein's  Opnions".

To simplify things, we can  distinguish between

Popper-1
Popper-2
Popper-3

Popper-1 is   Popper-as-he-belongs-to-what-he-calls-World1.
Popper-2 is   Popper-as-he-belongs-to-what-he-calls-World2
Popper-3 is   Popper-as-he-belongs-to-what-he-calls-World3.

It may do to revise  tests  of verifiability, unverifiability, and
falsifiability for each  claim, and  resume. Or not.

Cheers,

Speranza

---