[Linux-Discussion] Re: tracking user logins...

  • From: Adrian Corbuleanu <acorbuleanu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:59:19 -0500

> Scenario: I need to be able to expire system accounts that go unused for
> more than, say, 6 months.
>
> Problem: Lastlog is the only source of information that I'm aware of that
> really provides an easy means of tracking when a user last logged in.
> Telnet, SSH, and FTP all log there nicely, but Frontpage, Samba, and pop3
> don't.
>
> So any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>   John

Frontpage uses ftp to put the files on the server and ftp does provide logs.
Also I'd be very surprize if Samba doesn't have a method to keep
logs and time tracking. I'd also take a look to see if POP3 doesn't
"touch" and time stamp the mailbox directory where mail resides on
the server.

Regards,
Adrian