[Linux-Discussion] Re: tracking user logins...

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:06:59 -0500

> Samba logs to /var/log/samba.HOST (or however you logging set in your
> samba file and I believe this is the default way to log)  where HOST is
> the name of the windows/samba client, so there will be a separate
> logfile for each machine logging in.

Doesn't really help if you've got multiple users on the same box, eh?  You
can probably log by user though.  Still, it'd be nice if everything went
into lastlog...

> POP3 logs wherever you have all the mail.* logs going.  I'm running GNU
> pop3d on my mailserver and I have my mail.* logs goto /var/log/mail and
> I get an entry from Gnu Pop3 each time I log in to check my mail with my
> POP3 client. sample:

As mentioned in my post, I don't want to parse logs. :)  I'm looking for a
way of configuring services to use lastlog...

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!