[Linux-Discussion] tracking user logins...

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:20:30 -0500 (EST)

Scenario: I need to be able to expire system accounts that go unused for
more than, say, 6 months.

Problem: Lastlog is the only source of information that I'm aware of that
really provides an easy means of tracking when a user last logged in.
Telnet, SSH, and FTP all log there nicely, but Frontpage, Samba, and pop3
don't.

Solution: Log parsing?  Sure, all of this stuff is logged in different
places, but writing something to track each log when logs get rotated and
whatnot isn't very practical (and quite complicated to begin with).
Ignore the problem, and disable their accounts anyway?   Sure, but many of
our users aren't even aware of the fact that "oh, there's something *other
than* Frontpage?!"

So any other ideas?

Thanks,
  John