[Linux-Anyway] Re: On monitoring Web pages....

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:57:14 -0700 (PDT)

  Just a minute before I watch a movie....

> >   I'm also looking, again, for a means of popping up some
> > sort of reminder.  The at & cron utilities never worked for
> > me, & nothing else seemed to work.  What I need is something
> > which will pop up a terminal window on the first desktop with
> > whatever reminder, in text in it.

> If it's about popping up a window, you can replace the:

> print "The website $_ has changed\n";

> with:

> system ( "xmessage \"the webpage $_ has changed\" &" );

> which should pop up an x window with the message. That is, if
> your cron allows for user-crontabs so you can run it as the
> user that's running x. Doing this with cron run by root is
> possible, but probably needs more tinkering.

  Don't think I'd ever figured out how to make cron give me the
window, repeatedly, at specified times.  What I'm looking for, at
the moment, is a reminder every two weeks to place an order for
something.  When I was trying to do this before, I'd wasted a lot
of time with cron & at, but even when I could get them to
actually pop up a window, they wouldn't do so any more frequently
than once:-\.

--
  First Law of Procrastination:
  Procrastination shortens the job and places the responsibility