[Linux-Anyway] Re: On monitoring Web pages....

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:57:35 +0200

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
Meph wrote:

>   Remember I'd asked if anyone knew about a service on the Web
> which monitored Web pages & sent an e-mail to you when a page was
> changed?  I found it.  The site was called NetMind, the service
> was MindIt.  Unfortunately, some wireless company had bought them
> out, but finally, instead of either selling or giving the service
> away, they simply discontinued it.

Now that you mentioned it, I remembered. Does that help you? ;)

I've even been using it for a while, and can dimly remember that it was
crap; triggered on insignificant changes and failed to do so on those I
was trying to track; it also pestered me with (monthly, IIRC) e-mail
reminders that "they were tracking the site for me". I was trying to
track the publication of the new version of SelfHTML, the excellent
(german) HTML tutorial that had set me up with HTML, CSS and some
JavaScript, and that's still very useful to me as a reference manual
(http://selfhtml.teamone.de/ if someone got interested, I believe
there's an english translation too). Well, the outcome was that I heard
about the new version by hearsay, instead of MindIt telling me.

By the way: while browsing through "The Perl Cookbook" in the bookstore
today, I saw a script doing something similar (download HTML source,
extract string and print) - it'd be easy to write one that stores the
source and compares it periodically (cron). Would that do the trick, or
am I missing something?

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui