[Linux-Anyway] Re: On monitoring Web pages....

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:43:46 +0200

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
Meph wrote:

>   I'm also looking, again, for a means of popping up some sort of
> reminder.  The at & cron utilities never worked for me, & nothing
> else seemed to work.  What I need is something which will pop up
> a terminal window on the first desktop with whatever reminder, in
> text in it.

If it's about popping up a window, you can replace the:

print "The website $_ has changed\n";

with:

system ( "xmessage \"the webpage $_ has changed\" &" );

which should pop up an x window with the message. That is, if your cron
allows for user-crontabs so you can run it as the user that's running x.
Doing this with cron run by root is possible, but probably needs more
tinkering.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui