[Linux-Anyway] Re: Localhost??

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:18:27 -0700 (PDT)

> >   So, at least there're no connections being granted, but
> > what the hell is it?  I don't see anything in ps implying
> > that something is doing this.

> Remind me which dostro you're running....

  Slack 9.1.

> Most binaries called in.something are not daemons but something
> invoked via inetd or xinetd depending on your distro.

  Sounds familiar, but I admit I wasn't expecing slack used
xinetd.  Guess I'd better look into that more.  Just wich I
didn't have a bizillion things going on right now....

> This one is one which tries to inform you when you have new
> mail arriving. Pretty pointless IMO so why not just remove it
> and have done with it?

  Really?  Wonder why that would run by default when most folks
run either a text or gui pop mailer, & they all notify somehow?
Think I will remove it.  Thanks.

--
  If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you;
  but if you really make them think they'll hate you.