[Linux-Anyway] Re: Help me infringe copyright

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 20:20:59 +0200

Meph Istopheles wrote:

>>(NB: I intended to send this to Linux Newbies originally, but I
>>prefer to post the question here - so don't wonder about the
>>somewhat overly defensive tone.)
>>

>  You?  Defensinve?  When?;-)

Yes, indeed - hard to believe, eh? Note that I said "overly defensive"
because it was defensive at all. Hell, Linux newbies makes me
half-paranoid. Whenever I answer and something funny occurs to me, I
start contemplating the number of people who might get offended and
bitch. Wouldn't worry me much, I like flaming, but strangely somehow
they always hook on something I have hardly any interest in, or
something they misunderstand - that's not funny. It grows very tiresome
to explain that yes, you intended to critique or laugh at, but not the
way they understood it, and hardly you've explained it there comes
another one and starts the same line of talk again.

>>I'd need a tool that can capture it from the screen, or pipe
>>the stream to a playable file, or break the protection, or
>>whatever, even if it's only audio. I have absolutely no idea
>>how to go about this, and hope someone here does and is willing
>>to share this criminal wisdom with me.
>>

>  I've been looking (though less & less fervently) for something
>to do this for as long as Real has been in business.  Wish I
>knew, I'd tell you.

I guess it'd take a program that pretends to be realplayer and can
communicate with the server over a "png" protocol (and send the right
messages to keep the stream alive). Of course I've been investigating
before, apparently at least one (Windows) app could do this before the
company nearly got sued down to the bare arse by Real Networks. I looked
for an xmms plugin, but there's apparently only one for audio. I found
out where BR Alpha stores the files on the server, but couldn't rip them
because of the protocol issue. Damn their "copyright issues"! Completely
pointless. The video is very small, the audio is bad quality - what the
hell are they protecting? Especially since I can view them any time for
free, except that I have to waste bandwidth.
I hoped to find a useable cache file somewhere, but that's quite
useless. It's small and doesn't seem to do anything. Hm, wonder would
tail -f cachefile.rmm > stolenfile.rm work? Probably not, but I'll have
to try that.

>>Don't preach. I feel bad about this already, so if you can
>>help, I'm obliged, if you can't, spare yourself the comments.
>>

>  Heh.  Preach?  You really ~did~ write this for another list,
>didn't you?;-)

Of course. I didn't want to edit it for this list (something quite
different would come out), so I simply slapped the notabene onto it and
sent it away.