[liblouis-liblouisxml] Support for man pages through help2man

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:15:40 +0200

Hi all

For a long time I wanted to have man pages for all the liblouis tools.
The fact that liblouis is now packaged in Debian and Ubuntu has given me
motivation to take up that task again.

The easiest way to have man pages is to generate them with help2man.
This requires that all the tools support the --help and --version
option. As a test I have done this for the simplest tool lou_checktable
where I added these options and enhanced the build system to
automatically generate the man page for lou_checktable. I made the use
of help2man optional as I think John doesn't have it. But presumably the
packagers will have help2man so the man pages will end up in the Linux
distributions. In order to support long options I use the function
getopt_long from getopt.h.

Now the question is:
     1. Is it ok to add these options to all the liblouis tools
        (lou_debug, lou_checkhyphens, etc)
     2. Is the use of getopt_long portable? GNU/Linux obviuosly has it
        and so does cygwin as far as I know.

Swiss Library for the Blind and Visually Impaired