[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Installation on Mac OS X bug?

  • From: Greg Williams <greg.williams.1978@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:47:31 -0500

Hi Bert,
I did some further testing because I realized that I had modified my mac some. However, following the below steps will install the latest liblouisxml tar ball from http://www.abilitiessoft.com (which no longer seems to include the Mac directory either). I should have taken a closer look at Michel's instructions earlier; it would have clarified things. NOTE: I am assuming that you already have liblouis installed in /usr or /usr/local.
1.  Download pkg-config from http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/releases/
Uncompress it and switch to the newly created directory. Install it with ./configure; make; sudo make install. This will install it in / usr/local by default.

2. Add the following line to your ~/.profile (you can change the system profile if you prefer):
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig"
This line tells configure where to look for the *.pc files for installed libraries. You should check to make sure that both of these directories exist. Both of these directories will be needed because libxml2 comes installed in /usr/lib, and the liblouis library will by default install in /usr/local/lib.

3. Download the latest liblouisxml tarball from http://www.abilitiessoft.com or svn; decompress it; switch to the liblouisxml directory and run
./configure; make; sudo make install

This works on my mac, and so hopefully should work for you. Although I am still running 10.5 on a PPC, the standard installation shouldn't have changed that much. Let me know if you run into any problems.
Greg