[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: For the Autotools Experts

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:21:23 +0200

"John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> When I run ,/autogenj.sh for liblouisxml or liblouisutdml it runs to
> completion. However, when I do ./configurre I get a syntax error on
> BASE_DEPENDEICIES. the culprit seems to be the line in configure.ac that
> says:
>
> PKG_CHECK_MODULES(BASE_DEPENDENCIES, [liblouis, libxml2])
>
> Autoreconf gives no error messages. What do you suggest?

The macro PKG_CHECK_MODULES is from pkg-config (see the pkg-config man
page). I would assume that autoconf doesnt't find the macro definition.

The section "Macro Search Path"
(http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Macro-Search-Path) of
the automake manual contains some information as to how m4 macros are
found. Typically the are installed in /usr/share/aclocal-1.11/ and
/usr/share/aclocal/. In your case since you probably installed some
stuff manually I would assume that there are also some macros in
/usr/local/share/aclocal. Now to make sure automake finds these macros
you should be able to create a file named dirlist. I'll quote the
relevant part from the manual:

> dirlist is useful in the following situation: suppose that automake
> version 1.6.2 is installed with ‘--prefix=/usr’ by the system vendor.
> Thus, the default search directories are
>
>    1. /usr/share/aclocal-1.6/
>    2. /usr/share/aclocal/
>
> However, suppose further that many packages have been manually installed
> on the system, with $prefix=/usr/local, as is typical. In that case,
> many of these “extra” .m4 files are in /usr/local/share/aclocal. The
> only way to force /usr/bin/aclocal to find these “extra” .m4 files is to
> always call ‘aclocal -I /usr/local/share/aclocal’. This is inconvenient.
> With dirlist, one may create a file /usr/share/aclocal/dirlist
> containing only the single line
>
>      /usr/local/share/aclocal
>
> Now, the “default” search path on the affected system is
>
>    1. /usr/share/aclocal-1.6/
>    2. /usr/share/aclocal/
>    3. /usr/local/share/aclocal/
>
> without the need for -I options; -I options can be reserved for
> project-specific needs (my-source-dir/m4/), rather than using it to work
> around local system-dependent tool installation directories.

Hope this helps.