[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: For the Autotools Experts

  • From: Greg Williams <greg.williams.1978@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:54:13 -0500

John,
I can't help with the cache warnings, but if you add the following line to whatever your appropriate profile file is .profile or .bashrc, etc., it should make sure that pkg-config finds the liblouis and libxml2 libraries:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig"
These are the same things that had to be addressed with the mac installation because this is the typical file structure on a mac.

HTH
Greg

On Aug 29, 2010, at 8:20 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:

Greg,

Thanks. I added -I /usr/share/aclocal to my call to autoreconf. This
time it gave lots of warning messages about a cache. When I ran
configure it found liblouis but not libxml2 It turns out that liblouis
is in /usr/local/lib and libxml2 is in /usr/lib So I'm ponderikng that
and also how to get rid of the warning messages. At least this is
progress.

John

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 06:58:48PM -0500, Greg Williams wrote:
Hi John,
This is the original problem that was occurring with the installation
on the mac.  It happens seemingly for one of two reasons.
1. Your PKG_CONFIG_PATH doesn't contain the pkgconfig directories
where liblouis.pc or libxml2.pc are found, which is easily fixed by
adding the correct path to it in your user or system profile.
2. Configure is not finding the pkg.m4 file which contains the
pkg_check_modules macro. It should be in /share/aclocal of the
directory where pkg-config is installed. If your autotools are
installed in the same directory, then it should be picking it up, but
you should be able to add the correct directory in the autogen.sh file
with
autoconf -I /{right dir}/share/aclocal
There should be a permanent way to set the right path for one's
computer, but I haven't figured that out.

If neither of those are the problem, then hopefully someone else has a
suggestion. I am not very familiar with the autotools, so I only know
what I have stumbled across.
HTH
Greg

On Aug 29, 2010, at 2:09 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:

I have installed the latest versions of autoconf, automake and
libtool.
When I run ,/autogenj.sh for liblouisxml or liblouisutdml it runs to
completion. However, when I do ./configurre I get a syntax error on
BASE_DEPENDEICIES. the culprit seems to be the line in configure.ac
that
says:

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(BASE_DEPENDENCIES, [liblouis, libxml2])

Autoreconf gives no error messages. What do you suggest?