[LRflex] Xeximene

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:26:57 -0700

All:

At the Kamloops Wildlife Park, the other day, along with Qaanik, was
Xeximene, which is pronounced haw-keh-mah-na, and is (I am told)
Chinese for "Owl".

Xeximene picked a fight with a car ... and lost.  Thus, he has only
one eye and would be unable to survive in the wild.  So, he is now
another "Zoo owl", and doing just fine, thank you.

His one eye-edness, gives him an unusual look.  Unfortunately, this
shot was taken inside, where a strange mix of halogen, florescent and
daylight which filtered in through the windows.  I've not been able
to get a correct colour balance, but I'm getting close.  Sorry if
things look a wee bit "odd".

Still, Xeximene is such an odd looking "duck", that he's absolutely
fascinating, in his own way.

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Xexemene.htm

Comments, good or bad, always appreciated.

And... thanks for looking.

As for me... I'm heading out, along Meadow Creek Road.  Yesterday, we
saw a gorgeous Great Gray Owl, just sitting on a fencepost.  Rose and
I stopped the car and watched him for 10 minutes.  Sadly, I had no
camera with me.  Today, I will.  That, however, will likely only mean
that I will not see him.

But, where there is life... there is hope!