[LRflex] Re: Was OT-Micro 4/3rds.... NOW - Happy Landings.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:35:19 -0700

At 9/22/2009, you wrote:
David -

Alaskans do still like to think of themselves as (and generally are) a bit removed, with the 'Lower 48' being the common reference to the rest of the US, and yes, outside, in general being used. It's just a long ways away from most of the rest of the country.. and even across the state (as wide as continental US from the tip of the Aleutians to the furthest east point in SE Alaska, and similar distance from Boston, MA to Miami, FL in terms of northernmost to southernmost communities).

The reconstruction effort was on track to have homes built (framed, walled and roofed and utilitied, but by no means finished) for those who lost them by the end of August thanks to help from a number of individual volunteers and a couple of volunteer organizations (Samaritans Purse & Mennonite Disaster Service). As an added complication, the road to Eagle will be closing for the winter in about three weeks, so time is of the essence. For more info, see here: <http://www.eaglecity.org/>http://www.eaglecity.org/

Zach

Hi Zach!

I'm told that in the Yukon, the term "outside" is fading from use. Time was, back in the sixties, that if you returned from a holiday, people wanted to know where you'd been. It mattered not if it was Fairbanks, Dawson, Pelly River Landing, Yellowknife, Juneau or simply to Haines (no road to Skagway, back then) - they wanted all the details. If, of course, you'd simply been anywhere south of Lower Post, you'd simply say "Outside", and that was sufficient. They never wanted to know anything more. "Outside" (being the rest of the world) was good enough.

Nice to hear the term is still in use, in Alaska.

As for Eagle, I'm glad that they're getting back on track ... even if it is with a lot of help from their friends. I was pleased to see (via your link) that a shipment of Parkas were provided by a firm in Dawson, Yukon. I was delighted that northerners still pull to together, no matter which side of the border they're on. They are, indeed, a breed apart.

Thanks for the update ... we wish all in Eagle, well.

David.
---
David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.