[LRflex] Using R lenses on digital bodies..AN EXIF COMMENT.

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:44:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello All,
   I have recently made a posting complimenting the 'Group' on it's respect and
humanity, so I will step gingerly as I attempt to intelligently comment
regarding a recurring line of thought I've seen in relation to the problem of a
lack of EXIF info from adapting R equipment to dSLR's in postings all across
the internet, not just this group. I hope to convey a frustration following the
logic and not come across as derogatory in my words or tone. :-)
    I am having some difficulty in seeing EXIF issues as something more than a
Challenge to be adapted to. My line of thinking is that:
A) EXIF info didn't exist for 99.9999% of cameras and camera users in the 'Film
Era'.
B) We are bridging Film Era Mechanical Technology (R Lenses) to Digital Era
Electronic Technology (dSLR Cameras).
C) Adapters which DO communicate the exif info regarding Focal Length and Max
Available Aperture are readily available (For at least Canon, anyway).
D) If Stieglitz and Adams and Lebowitz and the millions of others who picked up
a camera over the last Century & A Half were able to operate them quite nicely
without exif info in their Negs and Trannies, I fail to see where a jpeg, a
RAW, a Tiff, or a DNG without full and complete exif info is a "Problem".
E) I don't recall there be many (if any!) R lenses with electronic diaphrams,
so 'properly' accessing ROM info is of profoundly limited benefit to us
'Adapters' - isn't it?
F) I will definitely say that Stop Down focusing and metering is most assuredly
quite a challenge, but not a fatal one, is it?
   I use a Canon 20D and the troublesome 'Flaw' in the EOS System related to
metering and exposure with preset lenses never struck me as more than a speed
bump on getting to where I want to go. There are also good reasons for EOS'es
handling 'old lenses' differently than Nikons do - Canon wanted more elbow room
for lens designing than was available with the previous FD mount and choose to
utterly orphan them off. Nikon took a different design path which 'kept' the
old mount and there fore their old lenses were still usable. They had to
account for this in their 'software' engineering for metering and exposure.
Canon had precious little need to devote engineering to making 'old' lenses
easily integrate into their designs because the lenses had been orphaned off to
gain other benefits. Whether their choices on those fronts were right or wrong,
I'll leave to those battling the NikConian Wars!
   Maybe my 'Life' based around incessantly using the motto
"Improvise/Adapt/Overcome" as I battle illnesses, disabilities, and economic
challenges, colors my opinion regarding 'Lack of Exif' being a problem or not
for the Lens Adapting Community. Internally I equate gripes and hangups about
lack of exif with complaining about a sunrise, not exactly much we can do to
change it is there! :-) Well, maybe not to that extent! But it made me smile to
type it, though.

Peace Everyone
&
Here's Hoping for a Competitive