[LRflex] Re: Using R lenses on digital bodies...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 13:36:38 -0800

Steve Barbour asked:

> > This is one of the reasons I switched from Canon to Olympus for my R
> > glass.  (There were others.)
>
>thanks,
>

>what were the other reasons too please?

Your wish is my command, Steve!

1) the aforementioned exposure problem does not exist with the Oly.

2) When I made my choice, R-glass usage was limited to the 4/3rds
(Oly,Panasonic) or Canon, via adapters. Leitax was not yet available.

3) My experience with Canon's was limited to the 20D & 30D - and I
like the Oly finder much better than either of those. Much closer to
the R8/R9 finder than anything else I've   tried.

4) the 2x crop factor is a problem for w/a shooters ... however, I
seldom shoot w/a.  I tend to see a very narrow view of the world.
Thus, for my first 20 years as a photog, I shot a Nikon F, with the
85/f1.8 and 200/f4 Nikkors. I didn't own anything else and didn't
miss it. The 85mm was my "normal" lens.  With the R8 I was shooting
the 400 Telyt in conjunction with the 2x, to get the "reach" I needed
for smaller birds.  This, however, meant an f13.6 lens combo, wide
open!  With the OLy's  2x crop factor, I could get the same "reach",
while gaining an ultra-fast f6.8 lens!!!   The few w/a needs I have
are more than adequately covered by the 12~60/f2.8-4 Oly zoom.

5) The in-body stabilization meant my Telyt 400/6.9 became an image
stabilized optic!  With the Canons, I did not have this advantage.
Besides I prefer an IS solution, in any camera, which does not
necessitate decentering one (or more) of the lens elements - as done
in both Canon & Nikon IS lenses.

6) At a very personal level, the Oly fits my hand much like the R8
did.  Not as nice, perhaps, but much more so than either of the
Canons. The E3 has too many buttons for my liking, but then so do all
the others. Still, they are well placed, fairly intuitive and well
protected from accidental changes.

7) The E3,  reputedly, has the best weather sealing of any dSLR and
this has proved invaluable when shooting in the snow and
cold.  Certainly, their AF is claimed to be the fastest around, when
introduced.  And, while I'm sure other brands have caught up, it's
still very nice, very fast, and remarkably accurate.

8) Due to the smaller sensor, noise may be a wee bit worse than the
Canon or Nikon offerings, but it is better at ISO 640 than the DMR
was at ISO 400, and very usable up to ISO 1250.  Good enough for me!

Though not one of the reasons I made the switch, I am most impressed
with Oly service.  While Leica (or their agents) typically take
months (up to 8 and 9 in my experience) I had a front element on the
12~60 replaced (due to a stone chip) with a turnaround time, in
Oly-Toronto, of less than 36 hours.  Eight days, from my door, to my
door, by post! And the price was very reasonable, too!

Suffice it to say that I will continue to shoot R and Oly glass on
it, and when the rumoured E5 comes out (now rumoured for this coming
June) I'll be first in line to buy one!

I trust this answers your questions.

Cheers!

David.