[LRflex] Re: The Interview (Part one)

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:37:03 -0700

Good Morning, Richard!

You wrote:

>    a sincere thank you for sharing your images of Dr Ted's TV
> appearance. Quite wonderful.

You're most welcome. And, "thank you!"

>  Further - mega kudos for having a 1/5th of a second shot look
> soooo very nice from in the 'green room'. It's plenty sharp enough
> to capture the scene and communicate it comfortably and pleasingly
> to a viewer. I sometimes think the challenges and efforts needed to
> generate the 20x30 prints many leica lenses have in 'Potentia',
> makes a photographer become a little disconnected from the realites
> of 'sharp enough' really being enough, sometimes. :-)
>Query: What did you shoot it with? Was it a M8/9?

Sorry, but I don't own an M camera, and have not since my M3ds, and
CL, lo those many years ago.  I hate to admit it, but I used the
replacement for my R8/DMR.  Namely, the Olympus E3, with their 50~200
f2.8-3.5 zoom.  To be honest, a really nice combination that also
takes my R-lass via adapters. All wide open, at ISO 640.

>I ask because I've heard ancedotally that rangefinders with their
>lack of a mirror 'slap' give a higher chance of 'sharp enough' shots
>at slower shutter speeds versus an SLR.

It's true!  Dr. Ted told "his" group, that they should expect to be
able to hand hold 1/15th... though I doubt many can.

Cheers, from a snowy Logan Lake.
---
David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.