[LRflex] Re: The Interview (Part one)

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 06:49:44 -0700

At 3/30/2010, you wrote:
>Dear Dave, I found it hard to believe that you had such a long
>exposure. The photos were so sharp. What lens did you use? How did
>you achieve such a depth of field in low light? How much color
>correction did you have to do? Studio lighting is not easy to work
>with as the color temperature is optimized for the cameras they use.
>Sorry for all the questions but I never have luck in these
>situations. Most problems or due to camera movement, limited depth
>of field and colors. Excellent job. Sincerely, George in Korea

Good Morning, George!

Good to hear your "voice" again!

The 1/5 second exposure was only for the "Valerie" shot... they keep
the light in the "Green Room" down, so that light does not flood out
in to the studio and affect the TV cameras.  Thus, it is fairly
dim.  OTOH, they do have very nice picture windows, so that
participants can watch the goings on.  All but the Valerie shot were
made through that glass.

It's been many years since I'd been in a TV Studio ... the cameras
are no longer RCA or Philips, but SONY and quite small.  More
importantly, they no longer use banks of screamingly hot incandescent
lights ... but banks of what appear to be 4200K, tri-phosphour
flourescent lamps.  Thus, colour correction simply meant using AWB
while shooting and selecting 4200 during raw development in Silkypix.

For general interest... here's Denise,with her camera & teleprompter.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Denise.html

All the shots were made with the Olympus 50~200 f2.8-3.5 Olympus SWD
Zoom... a very nice lens .. and all between 100 and 200 mm. The
Studio exposures were all between 1/25 and 1/40th, wide open.  Things
were helped, I'm sure, by holding the lens hood in my hand, which
was, in turn, against the glass - and by the rather excellent,
in-body IS of the Oly E3.

Last point, is the DOF question. By shooting wide open, as I nearly
always do, I'm attempting to limit DOF.  Of course, the smaller the
film/sensor, the more inherent DOF you have, and that (and only that)
explains the increased DOF.

We leave, shortly, to return Dr Ted & Irene to Vancouver, which is a
4 hr drive, each way. Will post some more of Dr. Ted's photos, but
most likely tomorrow.

Glad you enjoyed 'em... thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net