[LRflex] Re: Screams and steams

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 07:08:49 -0700

Keith Longmore wrote:

>My commiserations, too.

Thanks.

>If I were you, I'd keep the letter down to no more than a couple of
>carefully-worded pages, offering more information if required.  When
>it's lengthy, it tends to reduce the impact.

Agreed... Still, even in abbreviated form, this letter consumes 4 3/4
pages, in its final form, for I have told only parts of the story, here!

>I would be inclined not to make any threats, but point out that this
>saga is very much in the (Leica-buying) public eye by virtue of this forum.

No threats.  They never work.  I did, however, make it clear that
this is being discussed, on list.

>And copy the letter to the Marketing Director.

Also copies to Ralph Hagenauer (out of courtesy, for he's been taken
"off the case") and Joerg Kaufmann, head of Customer Service, as well
as to Christain Erhardt, Director of Marketing for Leica USA.

So far, only an "out of the office" auto-reply from Ralph.  But then,
it's still Sunday.

>For my half-penn'orth, this smacks of a software issue.  Maybe it's
>looking for a signal for too short a slot, or doesn't take account
>of jitter, timing tolerances, etc., misses it, and gets stuck in a
>loop looking for the non-existent signal (live-lock), particularly
>since it is an initialisation problem.  Could also be an alignment
>issue when the back is fitted to the body - tolerances!  (Maybe
>that's what LNJ were thinking when they asked for your camera body
>too!)  But I'm more inclined to think software, from my experience
>of such things.

I find the idea of "mating" the camera and DMR to be
interesting.  When I bought my DMR, I just plunked it on the R8 and
fired away. Worked great!  Solms have insisted on mating the
replacement cameras to their respective DMRs, so I doubt it's really
a contact issue.  All contacts look good, and I have, naturally, cleaned them.

I suspect if it's a contact, it's got to be internal.  More likely,
to my mind, is an intermittent flaw within one of the chips.  No
matter ... as you say, it's looking for a signal which it's not getting.

What I do know is that it's very frustrating!

>PS- no-one have any ideas yet about what cameras I used to take the
>Cyprus/TRNC shots?  Come on folks!  No prizes, but maybe surprises...

I like the shots (still want to know if it's gold leaf or gold paint
around the Kykkos Monastery door.  However, I have no idea what
cameras were used.  Anybody?