[LRflex] Screams and steams

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 11:21:49 +0100

David
My commiserations, too.  Perhaps it rubbed shoulders with my R3s!!  If I
were you, I'd keep the letter down to no more than a couple of
carefully-worded pages, offering more information if required.  When
it's lengthy, it tends to reduce the impact.  I would be inclined not to
make any threats, but point out that this saga is very much in the
(Leica-buying) public eye by virtue of this forum.  And copy the letter
to the Marketing Director.

For my half-penn'orth, this smacks of a software issue.  Maybe it's
looking for a signal for too short a slot, or doesn't take account of
jitter, timing tolerances, etc., misses it, and gets stuck in a loop
looking for the non-existent signal (live-lock), particularly since it
is an initialisation problem.  Could also be an alignment issue when the
back is fitted to the body - tolerances!  (Maybe that's what LNJ were
thinking when they asked for your camera body too!)  But I'm more
inclined to think software, from my experience of such things.

Doug:  Love the steam train pictures.  Nothing quite like steam trains
for atmosphere.  And the Novoflex Tamron: looks like a handy piece of
kit.  The old Russian 'Photo-sniper' and Novoflex follow-focus units
used to be popular didn't they?  Especially among press photographers.
But...do you have the b**ls to walk into an airport carrying it?  Or
even to walk through a town centre carrying it?  Not sure I would these
days!

Reminds me of a friend who made a Kentucky rifle from a kit, many years
ago.  He made a lovely job of it; since it could fire, he tried it out,
but then hung it on his living room wall.  The policeman who came to
inspect his safes (he was a pistol shooter - as indeed I was) saw it and
said' Can it fire?'  'Yes'  'Then you'll have to lock it away.'  'But
it's a flintlock - who'd rob a bank with a flintlock?'  ' Don't care,
you either lock it away, or it's confiscated.'  After all his loving
work making it, you can imagine his feelings.....  And that was long
before Hungerford, or Dunblane, or Virginia Tech.

An item of news.  It seems that Christie's in South Kensington are to
cease holding photographic collectibles auctions after the imminent
one.  They say that the market is shrinking; the only interested people
are elderly, therefore also shrinking in numbers; and their profits
aren't worth the effort.  Interestingly, Age Concern also state that the
most rapid take-up of digital camera technology has been among the
elderly and old.  Seems they like not having to think about taking
pictures, just point and shoot.  H'mmm.

Cheers
Keith Longmore
PS- no-one have any ideas yet about what cameras I used to take the
Cyprus/TRNC shots?  Come on folks!  No prizes, but maybe surprises...
www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/keith+longmore