[LRflex] Re: Some very old photos

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 07:35:01 -0700

At 20/05/2007, you wrote:
>Folks
>I said that I would post some of my photos from 40-odd years ago.  Well,
>there are six newly posted!  www.gallery.leica-uers.org/v/keith+longmore/
>
>These are all copies of glass-mounted slides, except one (The Barons'
>Room, Raby Castle) so aren't anywhere near as sharp as the originals.

Hi Keith!

These shots look as if they've been duplicated on film ... the rise
in contrast is indicative of that.

If you're going to do 2000+ of these, and then present the originals
to a  museum or archive, you may want to consider the purchase of a
dedicated film/slide scanner.  Otherwise, you'll need to obtain some
special copy-film... which is getting harder all the time.

For instance, the Nikon Coolscan V-ED scanner (or the earlier IV-ED)
will yield detailed 4000 dpi images.  Sharpness will be as good as
originals, and you won't have to worry about the contrast gain.

Cost is not free... but then, over here, a photo costs about 50
cents, when the cost of film and processing is included.  That's
$1000 for 2000 slides.  A new Nikon V-ED costs less than that.. and
you'd have the scanner left over.

OTOH, you will have to remount the slides in cardboard for the scan
(I don't think the Nikon's will handle glass mounted slides).  Still,
with digital ICE in use, each slide takes nearly two minutes to do
... so there is time to unmount, and remount each one!

Such scanners (and similar models) are available on the used
market.  Xavier recently bought one, and is, I believe, quite happy
with it.  I bought mine a couple of years ago, and it has worked wonderfully.

When you give the originals away, do so only in return for a
charitable tax receipt ... and remember that these old photos have
great value to the right people... and the tax receipt costs them
nothing.  Make them make it worth your while!  At the very least,
make the value high enough that the actual tax savings to you is at
least the price of the scanner!

Have fun, and good luck!