[LRflex] Re: Same old ...same old..

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 10:42:17 -0700

On May 16, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Douglas Sharp wrote:

I think Leica is finally on the right track with this style of marketing, in spite of the fact that the shot is quite ridiculous

The 275 cameras in this special edition are simply not meant for the likes of us (7000 euros each).

They have picked a potential target group to which we do not, and probably do not wish to, belong.

The purchasers of these white wonders will be people with so much expendable income that they can easily afford to spend that much on this camera simply as a "lifestyle accessory" - in fact, Leica themselves see the camera as being (I quote) "next summer's eye- catcher" and not as a precision instrument for excellent photography.

In fact, it isn't even an M8.2

if this works for them, their next project will be white M3's...

, so they are certainly not targeting photographers who would care about the newer version - what they are selling is a very classy Point&Shoot for the (very probably Russian and Arabian) nouveau riche.

275 x 7000 - 1,925,000 euros - that makes sense for a company almost on its knees

plus, of course, 500 x 7500 = 3,750,000 euros for the M8.2 Safari version

Douglas

Toussaint Etienne wrote:
Well seen, Miha !   I din't notice that, but you are damn right !
My question is : why does Leica need to go to a fashion magazine publisher to select a picture for their ad ? Don't they have enough talents at home ? An then, even, isn't there anyone in their marketing/advertising dept. to detect what you have detected ?
All the best.
Etienne