[LRflex] Re: R8 film scratching... what!

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:49:55 +0200

While visiting Leica in Solms many years ago (can't say exactly when -
but people were still waiting for accessories for the R8, so it must
have been shortly after the R8 launch), some people in the group were
asking questions about the matter you mention.
Leica did not deny that there was a problem, siad they were looking into
it and would be coming up with a solution. As the whole thing died down
very quickly, the scratching issue was either limited to a very few
bodies or only the first cameras made.
It was apparently something to do with the pressure plate in the camera
back.

This is the first time I've read anything about it in years, so they
must have fixed it pretty quickly. I can't imagine that the seller of
the camera you are buying would have used it for years if it scratched
films, but of course you can always send it back and get a refund if it
does scratch film - which would be an extremely rare case.

Douglas