[LRflex] R8 film scratching... what!

  • From: "info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:37:11 +1000

 Hello everyone,
This is great, an email forum with interesting news, views and comments.

I have just read on the internet that there are reports of the R8 having a
built in
film scratching mechanism, a kind of non-optional image destruction device
that
initialises after around 150 rolls.  Evidently there is some plastic plate
that wears.

As I have just ordered an R8 I am a little concerned, no that's not true, I
am freaked out.

Anyone know about this?  Is it true?  If so, can I get the darn offending
piece replaced
and by whom and is the fix permanent?  I know nothing is perfect but I was
looking
forward to owning one of the finest cameras ever made.

Have a great day/night.  I am on sedatives right now.

Reg

David Young wrote: At 03:28 AM 13/04/2010, you wrote: Thank you Walter and
Herman, Any experience with the 70-210 F4. I read that it is a Japanese lens
but also is very good. Also, am considering a scanner and wonder about the
PlusTek 7600, never used a scanner like this and for the very times I will
use do not want to spend a fortune. Best regards, Reg Hi Reg! Welcome to the
zoo! The 70~210/4 zoom is an older, Minolta designed, Minolta made zoom,
which was a good lens, for it's day. By comparison, the 80~200/4 is a much
newer, Leica designed lens, built by Kyocera ... who made the Zeiss stuff,
for years. (They are now out of the photo biz, except for cameras for
telephones.) The newer, Zeiss ZE series, that Herman mentioned, are, I
understand, built by Cosina/Voigtlander, but of Zeiss design. The 80~200/4
is, perhaps, the best value in the Leica R line. An absolutely stunning
lens,with very nice bokeh, to boot! As to the R3, it's an older camera,
basically modelled on a Minolta design, though with different (better)
metering than the Minolta equivalent. It suffers numerous problems, at this
age. The metering is one. On mine, the automatic worked fine, unless you
werein light that called for shorter than the 1/1000th maximum shutter
speed.Mine would then "roll over" to the 1 second exposure, rather than
blinkthe VF indicator, indicating overload! (In Canada, Kindermann will
repair an R3 for double the price of any other "R" camera, but only warranty
their work for 90 days, vs a year on any other model.) The R8 (I miss mine)
is an excellent camera, with wonderful ergonomics, despite it's rather
unusual look. The finder is brilliant - much better than the R3 through R7
models - though not quite as good as the old SL. It's only known vices are
the rotary mode switch, which is rather easily bumped (a wee bit of gaffers
tape can fix that, if it becomes a nuisance - in fact I found the lock Leica
put on the R9, to solve this problem, to be more of a pain than the original
problem!) and the meter cells have been known to die, on occasion. This is
not a common problem and is readily fixed, should it ever happen, at not too
large an expense. I cannot comment on the PlusTek 7600, but their new one,
the 7600i looks, on "paper" to be a very nice unit,. The 7600x7600 px
certainly improves on the 4000x4000 resolution of the Nikon Coolscans. I
havethe Coolscan V, and it's excellent. They are available, fairly
reasonably, on the used market. However, if you are forced, as I recently
was, to move to Windows 7 (or, ugh, Vista), as I was, by a recent computer
failure, the Nikon supplied software (which worked well, under XP) does not
work. Actually, it installs and works just fine... but the drivers that
actually run the machine don't work, and Nikon has no interest in writing
new, 64 bit ones. The solution is VueScan, (A US$40 download from
http://www.hamrick.com/[1]) which runs my LS-50 Coolscan perfectly. I bought
VueScan back in 1999, and didn't care for it then... but kept my license
info. I downloaded the latest version, which works very nicely indeed
(amazing the improvements in 11 years!), and the license code still worked!
Had a slight hiccup, and discovered Ed Hamrick actually answers his own
email! Cannot recommend the Nikon/Vuescan combination highly enough! Once
again, Welcome to the zoo! David (Zoo keeper) Young. ------------- David
Young - Photographer Logan Lake, BC, Canada Wildlife &Sports:
www.furnfeather.net[2] Personal pages: www.main.furnfeather.net[3] A
//www.freelists.org/archives/leicareflex/[5]

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.hamrick.com/