[LRFlex] Re: Quiz of the week

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:14:04 -0700

on 9/6/04 2:49 PM, Douglas M. Sharp at DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Please correct me If I'm wrong, isn't the aperture simulated by
> resistors in the metering system?

I don't know about the R bodies, but the Leicaflexes use a match-needle
system where the meter galvanometer needle is influenced only by light
levels and calibration.  The lollipop ('flex, SL) or loop (SL2) that is
matched to the needle is connected by an ingenious set of mechanical
linkages to the shutter speed dial, the aperture ring, and the ASA/DIN dial.

> BTW Doug, are you also keeping a photographic record of your SL repair
> adventure ?

I ought to.  There will be plenty opportunities for photos.  The next
problem on my project camera is the slow speed escapement.  1, 1/2 and 1/4
sec are too fast - for example the 1/4 sec setting is faster than the 1/8
setting - yet the shutter speeds from 1 sec to 1/30 sec use the same timing
escapement.  It "shifts gears" between 1/4 and 1/8 sec.  I need to figure
out how it shifts gears and how to adjust each set independantly from the
other.  Looking at how the shutter is timed it's really obvious now why
shutter speeds between 1/60 and 1/30 sec can't be used, and why speeds
between 1/4 and 1/8 also cant be used.  Between 1/30 and 1/60 sec, the
timing mechanism is changing from the high-speed system and the slow-speed
system, and between 1/4 and 1/8 sec the slow speed escapement is shifting
gears.  Incidentally the slow-speed escapement in the 'flex is identical to
the SL slow-speed escapement.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com