[LRFlex] Re: Quiz of the week

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:31:19 -0700

Douglas wrote:

Please correct me If I'm wrong, isn't the aperture simulated by resistors in the metering system? so that we get, at the end of the day, more or less the same result.
The only "real" point of full open metering is that we can see what we're doing when setting up a shot.

I think the point that Xavier was trying to make, Douglas, is that by metering wide open, there is lots of light for the cell to measure using (as you carefully point out) resistors to simulate the aperture.

In the "M" series, as you close down the aperture, you limit the light to the metering cell, thus making more metering more difficult. Especially if the cell is none too sensitive, such as in the CL.

The only saving grace for this conundrum is that a light diminishes, we tend to open up the lens to preserve shutter speed, thus compensating - at least partially - for the problem.

BTW Doug, are you also keeping a photographic record of your SL repair adventure ? I'm
sure that it would be of great interest to quite a few of us SL owners.

Yes Doug! I would LOVE to see a photographic essay (as it were) on the SL resurrection, when all is said and done. I certainly enjoyed your last post on SL DIY techniques! :)

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm