[LRflex] Re: Politics are unavoidable

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:50:46 -0500

Hi David,

> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:30:17 -0800 (PST)
> From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [LRflex] Re: introduction wrap-up
>
> My understanding is that this was supposed to be a forum
dedicated to
> sharing comments about leica R cameras, lenses and the
photographs
> produced by the above. As such, I, at least, don't
welcome political
> views and i consider their propagation through this medium
to be
> inconsistent with the aims of this list.
> I refer to "masked thugs vandalizing Vancouver Olympic
streets".
> Unless you've been chasing Asian gangs or bank robbers,
this would
> seem to be a thinly-veiled reference to Olympic
protestors. If you've
> got photographs to share; yes. Sharing your political
views: non
> merci.
>
> Any more of this crap and I'll be outta here.
>
> Dave, Clearwater, BC

Messages are received differently by different folks, and it
seems that this one is no exception. I did not interpret
Fred's message to be either a political statement or
thinly-veiled. Nor did I find it either offensive or
off-topic, since he was explaining his delayed reply to
comments from list members. What I do find offensive is the
imposition of a personal agenda from someone other than a
list owner or moderator in an attempt to control the
contributions of others, as such are a clear statement of
intolerance and a lack of respect. I have no idea why "Asian
Gangs" stand out for you as legitimate fodder for comment,
but, then again, I really don't care to know, either.

Understanding that offensive comments are as unavoidable as
politics, I will simply continue to tolerate such brief and
sparse offenses and participate in what I think is one of
the best groups I have experienced in decades of on-line
group participation. Simply put, for me, such minute issues
don't come close to offsetting the benefits of the
knowledge, skill, and wonderful photography from around the
world presented by the members of this group. YMMV.

--

Neil