[LRflex] Re: Now PS2 vs. Silky Pix (O.T.)

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:33:22 -0800

At 17/01/2007, you wrote:
>David,
>
>Thank you very much; it sounds like a slightly different
>implementation of a similar function, the difference being where the
>default setting is placed. So be it.

The difference in PS2 and Silkypix is not just the default
setting.  With PS2, the sliders darkest position is still too
light!  And it will not let me darken the dark bits more.  I can use
Curves to get this, but with much less control and a lot more
effort.   The Silkypix control works as you (or at least, I) think it
should.... if you know what I mean.

I have an awful time understanding PS2 and Bridge doesn't work all
that well, either.  I much prefer Silkypix, both for better results
and far greater simplicity of operation.

For example... I've not used Lightroom or Aperture, but if you rotate
a shot in PS2 (to, say, level a horizon that should have been level
in the first place!) it gives you a skewed shot on the canvas.  You
must then do a second operation to crop out the good bits, and end up
with your square/rectangular shot.  In Silkypix, the photo is
slightly enlarged with every step of the rotate tool, showing you the
maximum possible rectangular/square bit that remains.  So, when
you're finished rotating, your finished.  Oh, yeah.... if you want to
rotate in PS2, you have to click Image/rotate canvas/arbitrary and
then OK for each step.  With Silkypix you just press the rotate left
or rotate right arrow, and it will rotate by .1 degree.  Hold down
the mouse button with the cursor on the rotation arrow and it will
continue to move (and re-crop the shot) until it looks
right.  Release the mouse button and you're done!  If you overshoot,
just reverse the process until it's correct.  Simple!

The only think Silkypix 2.0 seems to be missing is a crop tool,
within the program.  (If it's there, I have not yet found it!)  It
may be in 3.0... I've not had time to try it.

Thus, I end up using SilkyPix (and, occasionally FastStone Image
Viewer for quick proofing) for my editing and developing.  I use PS
for cropping after the fact and adding copyright notices.  That's about all.

In the end, I guess I like Silkypix because only three things matter
to me.  [1] Speed, [2] convenience and [3] results.  SP makes it
easier to get good results, faster than PS2.  The fact that it costs
less than 1/5 what they're charging (here, at least) for PS2 is a bonus.

Good Luck!