[LRflex] Re: M8 and Capture One now Silky Pix( O.T.)

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 06:51:07 -0800

At 16/01/2007, you wrote:
>Hi David,
>
>Would you kindly say a bit more about what the "Black Level Slider"
>that you use in Silkypix does, exactly?
>
>I've used up my free Silkypix download trial period so I can't even
>look up the description of the function in their Help Menu.
>
>In Photoshop CS2 and all other versions of PS I have used, there is a
>"black point slider" (Adobe's terminology) in the Image> Adjustment>
>Levels panel that sets the black point at any point in the image's
>range from white to black that you choose.
>
>Is this equivalent to the function you are using in Silkypix or does
>Silkypix have a different functional implementation they call "Black
>Point Slider"?
>
>All my best,
>
>Bill

Good Mornin' Bill!

I am not a PS wizard... in fact, as a PS "power user", I make one
heck of  find ditch digger!

However, I looked in PS2 and found the black point slider you
mention.  At least on the few shots I tried, it seemed to act as a
brightness control.  Certainly, on the shots I opened, the black
point slider was always already at it's darkest (far left) setting
and would only permit lightening of the image.

The "black level slider" in Silkypix allows you to darken the darks,
as it were, without lightening the whites. In fact, from it's default
position, it only permits the blacks to be darkened. You gain an
effect very similar to underexposing chrome film by say, a half
stop.  This is an old trick to increase the richness of colours,
without increasing the saturation.

You can gain the same effect in PS, or in Silkypix by using the
Curves, but they are a lot trickier to adjust.  I like prefer to
Silkypix to PS2 for it's simplicity and it's ability to produce more
pleasing images faster and with less effort.

I hope this makes some sense...

I also like Silkypix for it's quick preview function.  If I shoot,
say, 150 shots in RAW, I put them on the computer and open Silkypix,
choosing the folder I want.  I then run through the shots, clicking
on the "next photo" icon, for rapid loading.  If the shot is worth
developing, I make my adjustments and set the Batch Development mark
(F8) . If it's toast, I set the Delete Mark (F6).  Either way, I then
move on to the next shot.

When I'm done, I set the parameters for batch development (folder,
finished image size, etc.) and let it go.  If I'm doing 100 shots it
might take 40 minutes or so... but I can go have a drink, talk with
my neighbour or take a nap.  When the number of shots grows into the
many hundreds, this can save me a huge amount of time.  (If PS has
such a batch development mode, I've not found it!)